Sunday, May 16, 2010

MY FAVORITE FRITATTA




When I tell you what's in it, many of you will be cursing me as a diet thwarter, but hang on a sec. As you know, the key to good health and good nutrition is eating REAL FOOD. I do not advocate low fat foods, diet meals or snacks, anything prepared or processed and this dish doesn't fall into any of those categories.

On Wednesday, I got some eggs, mustard greens, potatoes and olive oil from the farmers market and on Thursday morning, my dish was created. I should back up a little. I love mashed potatoes, but not the traditional creamy, buttery mashed potatoes, they do nothing for me, really. I love my mashed potatoes with olive oil and a little salt. Oh and greens. First, I boil the potatoes, leaving some of the skin on, then smash with a potato masher and add liberal amounts of olive oil until the consistency is right. Then I add chopped sauteed greens like mustard, spinach or dandelion to the mash. On Wednesday, this was the side dish that went with a roasted chicken (also from the farmers market)-on Thursday morning, I used the leftovers in my fritatta.

Simply, put the potato mixture into a non-stick skillet (the only time I use it is for fritattas), then add 4-6 lightly beaten eggs, swirl around to evenly coat the bottom of the pan and cover the potato mixture, then put the pan in a 350 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the eggs are puffy and set. Voila! (I also added a tiny bit of leftover feta, which gives a nice salty kick).

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the foodie blog roll! I like your recipes here!If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the simplicity of the items you are posting. This Fritatta is definitely on the menu schedule for this week. I am going to add your blog to my bolgroll. I hope it will bring some visitors to you. Feel free to list me as well: www.gourmetjack.com.

    Thanks and Good Luck
    GourmetJack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fritattas. Aren't they simple and easy? Similarly, I do not believe in non or low fat as I think I end up eating more to compensate for the lack of flavor. If you're eating more of non or low fat products you may as well eat less of the real deal, don't you think? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I will check out all of the sites and get those widgets.

    Hopefully you will see that I love to eat, but I love to eat healthy food. My aim is to teach people that REAL FOOD is healthy, regardless of the calorie or fat count.

    Thanks again and nice to meet you all.

    ReplyDelete