Monday, January 9, 2012

21 Day Detox



I am such a lame blogger/ luddite that it was taking me an eternity to create a new blog to post recipes from my detox so I just decided to use this one as it is already set up and Jess has a new blog anyway.

I am doing a 21 day detox. I did one this summer and I felt amazing afterwards. Bad habits do creep back, but I have found that over the years, each time I do a cleanse more good habits develop and become permanent. Also, from cleansing every year once or twice I year I have gone from being sick every 2 months in 2005 to the point where I have not been sick now since the summer of 2010!

So what am I eliminating?
alcohol
coffee
sugar
anything processed
wheat and gluten containing grains
all dairy
fatty meats
anything that is not organic, grass-fed, hormone-free, or pesticide-free

It takes a lot of planning to eat this way. The first few days sans coffee and the sweet caress of alcohol are particularly difficult, so I like to make sure I am going to be eating something really tasty. I also like to have healthy things on hand. So on Sunday I made a big batch of vegetable broth and cooked up a pot of yummy cannellini beans. I froze half of both and saved the rest for my lunch today.

I had a head of cabbage left over from my CSA basket that had been in the fridge since before New Years. It was time to eat it so I decided to make a cabbage and bean soup. I was sure to take some Beano before eating this. Being detoxy is unpleasant enough as it is I don't need to compound matters by also dealing with the ramifications of eating the two most farty foods on the planet.

Cabbage and Bean Soup
1 onion diced
2 carrots diced
2 stalks celery diced
1 head cabbage sliced
2 tomatoes diced
3 cloves garlic minced
homemade vegetable broth
cooked cannellini beans
cilantro
salt

Saute the onion, carrot and celery until softened
Add the broth, tomato and cabbage
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are almost soft
Add beans and garlic
salt to taste
top with chopped cilantro



No comments:

Post a Comment