Sunday, April 4, 2010

BREADED SOLE


When I was a kid, I hated fish, yet my mom made it at least once a week. Ugh. While I am sure she made other fish dishes, this is the one that I remember most because it was the one I liked best. I used to squeeze so much lemon on it to hide the taste of fish, but now, I love fish and I particularly like this simple little dish. The breading is easy and a technique that I apply to thinly sliced chicken breasts pretty often. I have also used it for tofu when cooking for some of my vegetarian clients.

Breaded Sole
serves 2

2 large sole filets
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1/2-1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup olive oil
sea salt and pepper

Season the sole with salt and pepper. Set out three plates. Put the flour on the first plate, break and lightly scramble the egg on the second plate and on the third, put the bread crumbs. Dredge the sole first in the flour, then the egg and finally the bread crumbs, making sure to evenly coat the fish in each.

Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and then carefully add the fish. Sole is a really delicate fish and doesn't need long to cook. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the bread crumbs are golden and then flip. Continue to cook on the other side for another couple of minutes until the bread crumbs are golden then remove from heat. Serve with lemon slices.

If there ever happens to be leftover fish, I like to make my version of a filet o' fish sandwich. Put the fish in a baguette with some mayonnaise and arugula. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment